Tree shelters have proven their worth since they were first used in the mid-1980s. They have been shown to increase early growth rate, help establish strong root systems, increase survival rates and protect young trees from harmful herbicides, pesticides and grazing animals.
However, most tree shelters are made from plastic. And of the millions used to date, most are still littering the countryside, causing widespread pollution and creating a collection and recycling headache for landowners and foresters.
Yet, we know we must stop using plastics that harm the environment. And we know we must plant more trees.
Wool: a viable, Earth-friendly alternative to plastic
We make our shelters and guards from:
- British wool and
- A polyol made from ethically sourced renewable natural products and innovative custom polyol
NexGen’s unique material is made up of more than 60% British wool. The wool biodegrades over time allowing the guard to become a home for lichens and mosses to grow in the structure as it degrades over the life of the product.
The combination of new materials are exclusive to NexGen Tree Shelters. Because of the materials we use the NexGen range is:
- biodegradable and environmentally degradable
- ecotoxicity and pH neutral
Yet their performance is as good as plastic, if not better, as they:
- have been independently tested and proven to last at least five years (depending on location, tree canopy, soil and microbes)
- are cost-effective as you don’t need to collect, clean or recycle them
- create a nourishing micro-environment for the sapling
- let in the right level and spectrum of light to promote healthy plants and support strong, balanced growth
- protect young plants from grazing and gnawing animals and harmful herbicide sprays
- support mosses and lichens that colonise the surface of our shelters to help create and sustain rich biodiversity
- change colour over time to blend into the natural environment, with no loss of performance
5-year useful lifetime warranty
We designed the unique material we use in all our tree shelters, shrub shelters, hedging guards and vole guards to last for at least five years. If any of our products lose their integrity before five years, we’ll replace them free of charge. We’ll even pay for any necessary labour and replacement trees or shrubs.
For more information, please call Tim on 01252 755333 or 07872 542282. (Terms and conditions apply)
NexGen tree shelters. Good for the environment. Good for you.
NexGen wool shelters give you a positive news story to share. They can also help you meet your own carbon and sustainability targets. All of this means, when you use NexGen shelters, you can be confident you’re protecting your young trees, your organisation and the environment.
Find out more about our: